Jan 16, 2012

Art is my blood - Akai Ito

The first step to this project came from somewhere I did not expect to. It was Model Mayhem. A beginner brazilian photographer (his name is Rodrigo Silva) wrote a very friendly message to me, asking if he could collaborate in an editorial project. I did not have anything special in mind since in the last month we shoot the "back to school" project, but even so I wrote back saying we could collaborate. Since I took some decisions for this year, my brand will work nicely between those artistic projects and the commercial line. The commercial line is on the way and while I have some free time I'm still creating those very complex and interesting knitwear. It's a way I found to survive in this market --- I needed a commercial line for the money and popularity purposes but also I still want this brand to be known for its original handmade designs. Handmade and commercial sometimes does not follow the same line but I'm finding harmony between it. It's hard to find time for both but I'm handling so everything will be awesome. Just small details about the commercial line, we will have also knitwear and fabrics on it. It's gonna be cool -- not just for girls, but boys also. Just wait the perfect time and you'll know it :D

Okay, coming back to the photographer and Model Mayhem... So I was working in a new sweater and it was kinda aggressive one. We invited a model from MM as well ( her name is Lidia Zuin, and she wrotes this very accurate blog about alternative fashion - http://fiercekrieg.blogspot.com/) and also I invited another photographer, Fernando Takashi who is also my partner not just in artistic projects but life.
So, I started to have some ideas.. I wanted it to sweat blood. hahahah it sounds a little bit freak but I was making a connection between blood and art. I guess, to me, it makes all sense. My art is my blood and my blood is my art. This sweater was kinda complicated to knit, it's very delicate, so we have a blend between aggressiveness with tenderness (one of my fav quotes).
Later, someone commented about "akai ito" and it really makes all the sense to our project.

The results are awesome, of course, and you can check them here: